Politics: Here are the 16 Republicans who voted to kill Rand Paul's gun control filibuster before it started
Published by: Robert Laurie on Thursday April 11th, 2013
By ROBERT LAURIE - Your 2nd Amendment rights are headed for an up or down vote.
This morning, Senators Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Mike Lee released the following statement:
This morning the Senate will vote on the motion to proceed to the firearms bill (S.649). It is expected that the Toomey-Manchin provision announced yesterday will replace the current language regarding background checks. Yet, as of this morning, not a single senator has been provided the legislative language of this provision. Because the background-check measure is the centerpiece of this legislation it is critical that we know what is in the bill before we vote on it. The American people expect more and deserve better.
Unfortunately, the effort to push through legislation that no one had read highlights one of the primary reasons we announced our intention to force a 60 vote threshold. We believe the abuse of the process is how the rights of Americans are systematically eroded and we will continue to do everything in our power to prevent it.
Sadly, just a few hours later, 16 Republican Senators caved to the Democrats and voted to end debate and bring to the floor a gun control bill that no one has had a chance to read. There will be Amendments offered, it will probably pass, and then we'll all be able to "find out what's in it."
So much for "shall not be infringed."
Here are the GOP members who sided with their Dem opponents. It's basically a who's who of the RINO world.
- Lindsey Graham (SC) (202) 224-5972
- Lamar Alexander (TN) (202) 224-4944
- Kelly Ayotte (NH) (202) 224-3324
- Richard Burr (NC) (202) 224-3154
- Saxby Chambliss (GA) (202) 224-3521
- John McCain (AZ) (202) 224-2235
- Tom Coburn (OK) (202) 224-5754
- Susan Collins (ME) (202) 224-2523
- Bob Corker (TN) (202) 224-3344
- Jeff Flake (AZ) (202) 224-4521
- John Hoeven (ND) (202) 224-2551
- Johnny Isakson (GA) (202) 224-3643
- Dean Heller (NV) (202) 224-6244
- Mark Kirk (IL) (202) 224-2854
- Pat Toomey (PA) (202) 224-4254
- Roger Wicker (MS) (202) 224-6253
If you live in their districts, feel free to give them a call tell them what you think of their decision.
Be sure you're following Robert Laurie on Twitter @RobertLaurie