Politics: NO PROTESTS - State Dept. officials finally reveal the truth about Benghazi attacks
Published by: Robert Laurie on Wednesday October 10th, 2012
After nearly a month of lies, denials, and diversions, we finally know what really happened
Yesterday, on condition of anonymity, Senior State Department officials told reporters that, on the night of the attacks, there was no protest whatsoever. In fact, all was quiet outside the Benghazi consulate. No mobs, no furor over a lame internet video, nothing.
According to the new information, Ambassador Christopher Stevens had spent the entire day inside the compound, due to concerns about the 9/11 anniversary. He said goodnight to a Turkish diplomat, escorted him out the front door of the building, then went back inside and prepared to turn in for the evening.
An hour later, the night erupted in gunfire, explosions, and chaos. They sealed the building, contacted the embassy in Tripoli, and alerted the U.S. rapid reaction force which was located a mile away. Inside one of the two main buildings, Stevens and computer specialist Sean Smith were sealed into a panic room with an armed security agent.
Eventually a heavily armed mob of attackers breached the grounds and fought their way into the building where Stevens was hiding. They tried to force open the secure room, but failed, so they doused the entire area with gasoline, and set it ablaze.
As heavy smoke filled the building, Stevens and his crew were forced to evacuate. They first went to a nearby bathroom and opened a window for air. Moments later, they decided to make a run for it. The security agent went first, drawing fire, but Stevens and Smith never made it outside. The agent tried to go back for them, but unable to locate either of the men. Eventually, he made his way to roof, where he collapsed from smoke inhalation after radioing the rapid reaction team to inform them of the situation.
When the team arrived, they pulled Smith’s body from the building, but never found Ambassador Stevens.
Other surviving members of the on-site personnel escaped the area in a harrowing chase through oncoming traffic that sounds like something out of a Jack Ryan adventure. RPG’s, AK-47’s, and grenades were leveled at them as they made their way to safety.
Around four A.M., reinforcements arrived from Tripoli, but were unable to accomplish much due to a barrage of incoming mortar attacks. The explosions took the lives of Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods.
How Christopher Stevens eventually wound up in a nearby hospital is still a mystery.
Without a doubt, the most puzzling thing about the attack is how, with all of this information, the Obama administration could have the audacity to go in front of the cameras and tell the bald-faced lie of a spontaneous uprising.
As one of the anonymous officials said: "The lethality and number of armed people is unprecedented. There was no attack anywhere in Libya -- Tripoli or Benghazi -- like this, so it is unprecedented and would be very, very hard to find a precedent like that in recent diplomatic history."
President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton surely had this information within hours - if not minutes - yet for weeks they kept insisting that the entire incident spun out of a protest over a YouTube video. In fact, they went so far as to create a now-infamous clip denouncing the film which was broadcast throughout the Muslim world.
This is either the most egregious display of incompetence in recent history, or it’s the greatest attempted cover up. Either way, the President and Ms. Clinton must be held accountable.
So far, their reprehensible desire to bury the truth has only served to dishonor the memories of those who gave their lives.